Happy New Year everyone!
Here's what you've all been waiting for...the answers to the Christmas quiz and links for more information :)
1. The smallest planet ever detected was found this year. What has it been named?
A: Kepler-22b. More info from the New Scientist
2. Which of life’s most frustrating situations could be solved by the creation of SLIPS?
A: Getting the last bit of ketchup out of the bottom of the bottle. SLIPS= Slippery Liquid Infused Porous Surface. More info from the British Science Association
3. Opened in June, where is the longest bridge over water?
A: NE China, The Qingdao Haiwan Bridge.
And for a bonus gold star…it is longer than what?
A marathon...the bridge is 26.4 miles long More info from Discover magazine
4. True or false: Experiments have suggested that something may travel faster than the speed of light?
A: True; although it is still under debate/further investigation. More info from the British Science Association
5. Which 2012 Olympic venue won the Supreme Award for Structural Engineering Excellence at the Structural Awards 2011?
A: London Velodrome. More info from the Institution of Structural Engineers
6. If you’ve bought perfume for someone as a Christmas present, how likely are they to like it?
A: Not very. More info from the British Science Association
7. What could car tyres and dessert have in common in the future?
A: Sugar. More info from Chemical and Engineering News
8. Apart from the obvious, which prehistoric animal came in Leopard print?
A: Horses. More info from ScienceNews
9. Researchers at MIT have produced a camera which captures images at how many exposures per second?
A: One trillion. More info from the Engineer
10. What does the Higgs field do to particles?
A: Gives them mass. More info from the Guardian
I hope you did well!